Man charged with attempted murder after Leicester Square police stabbings – The Guardian

Mohammed Rahman charged with multiple offences as one Met police officer remains under medical supervision
A 24-year-old man has been charged with attempted murder and grievous bodily harm with intent after the stabbings of two police officers in Leicester Square on Friday, the Metropolitan police have said.
Mohammed Rahman, 24, from west London, was also charged with assault and two counts of threatening a person with a blade, charges relating to three other constables. He was also charged with robbery and possession of a knife.
Rahman was taken to hospital for treatment of minor injuries before being taken into police custody. He will appear in court in Wimbledon, south-west London, on Monday.
Police said on Friday that the stabbings in central London were not being treated as terror-related.
The grievous bodily harm charge relates to a female constable and the attempted murder charge to a male constable.
The female officer was discharged from hospital on Saturday after suffering potentially life-changing injuries from being stabbed in the arm.
The male officer, who suffered multiple stab wounds, remains under medical supervision, the Met said.
An officer involved in detaining the suspect reportedly suffered a minor hand injury while another sustained damage to his protective vest caused by a knife, which was recovered at the scene.
An investigation into the incident is under way and the Metropolitan police has appealed for witnesses to come forward.
The Met commissioner, Sir Mark Rowley, said the officer had challenged the suspect over suspicions he had a knife. She was stabbed through a vein in her arm, leading to huge blood loss, as the suspect attempted to flee. A male officer caught up with him but was stabbed three times in the neck, and once in the chest.
DCS Owain Richards said: “The actions of these two officers, and their colleagues, exemplify the key value of courage that runs through the core of the Metropolitan police and they will be offered all the support they need as they begin their recovery from this terrifying incident.”
Anyone who was in the area and saw this incident, or who may have captured events on a camera or mobile phone, should contact the police on 020 8785 8244.
They can also speak to police on 101 or contact Crimestoppers anonymously by calling 0800 555 111.


Leave a Comment