Two police officers stabbed near Leicester Square in central London – The Guardian

Man arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm and assaulting emergency worker
A police officer was stabbed repeatedly in the neck and another constable stabbed through the arm after a man with a knife was challenged in central London.
People watched in horror after the officers were attacked near Leicester Square at about 6am on Friday. A man in his 20s was arrested and in custody and police said a knife was recovered from the scene.
The Metropolitan police commissioner, Sir Mark Rowley, said a female officer had challenged the suspect over suspicions he had a knife. The officer was stabbed through a vein in her arm, leading to huge blood loss. The suspect then ran away followed by police.
“We remain concerned that the injuries to the young woman officer’s arm may still be quite serious and may potentially be life-changing, but that’s yet to be worked through,” Rowley said.
A male officer was stabbed in the neck three times, and in the chest. Rowley said: “Her colleague chases down the offender, catches him, a tussle ensues, that officer is stabbed three times in the neck and once in the chest. He’s very seriously injured, other colleagues join the scene. There’s a violent struggle with a fairly frenzied individual – Tasers deployed, Pava spray is deployed and then an officer uses his baton – eventually the offender is subdued and arrested. The two officers were rushed to hospital.”
The Metropolitan police said both officers were based locally. A Taser stun gun was fired to subdue the suspect, and a man, believed to be in his 20s, was arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm and assaulting an emergency worker. He was taken to hospital and has since been discharged into police custody.
Rowley, who took up his role on Monday with a mission to reform the Met, said: “It’s a reminder to me that with all the calls for reform in the Metropolitan police, which are absolutely necessary, we should never forget that we’ve got thousands of dedicated men and women going out every day who are prepared to be brave for Londoners.”
The deputy assistant commissioner Stuart Cundy said the attack was not believed to be terrorist in nature or linked to events relating to the death of the Queen.
The incident came as the UK prepared for a huge security challenge in the lead-up to the Queen’s funeral on Monday.
The London mayor, Sadiq Khan, called the attack “utterly appalling” and “disgraceful”. He said he had spoken to Rowley about the incident and remained in close contact, and he urged anyone with information to come forward.
“These brave officers were doing their duty and assisting the public at this momentous time for our country,” he said. “Attacks against the police will not be tolerated and any perpetrators will be caught and prosecuted.”
The home secretary, Suella Braverman, said she had discussed the situation with Rowley. “Every day, we are safer thanks to the bravery of our policemen & women,” she wrote on Twitter. “I wish the police officers a swift recovery and my thoughts are with their family, friends and colleagues.”
Supt Justin Browne, of the Met, said: “The actions of these two officers, and their colleagues, exemplifies the key value of courage that runs through the core of the Metropolitan police and they will be offered all the support they need as they begin their recovery from this terrifying incident.”


Leave a Comment